[act-ma] 01/10 Come support Iraqi Refugees in Lowell against Bigotry and Violence

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Sat Jan 7 07:05:38 PST 2012

Passing this along

Veterans for Peace have been helping the Iraqi refugees for the past
couple of years. Many of the Iraqis have had a difficult time. Doctors,
engineers, lawyers not able to practice their professions in this
country and if lucky get a job pumping gas or stocking shelves atWhole
Foods.

Recently two different families have opened restaurants in Lowell. This
is really the American Dream come true. Not only do these restaurants
have warm and welcoming decors and atmospheres but the staff are
extremely friendly and welcoming and did I mention the food is
delicious. One of those restaurants is the Babylon restaurant, located
at 25 Merrimack Street in Lowell. Several Smedleys (Smedley Butler
Brigade Chapter of VFP) have eaten there. Not only is it a great
restaurant, with fabulous reviews, it is providing jobs for other Iraqis.

Earlier this week a car pulled up in front of the restaurant, someone
got out a hurled a huge rock through their front window. The owners are
frightened and so are the Iraqi families members who work at the restaurant.

These Iraqis could use some support. I would like to know how many
members and friends would be interesting in going to the Babylon
restaurant for dinner next Tuesday night to show solidarity and support
for the Iraqi community and this restaurant in particular. I would
suggest we bring our flags and stand outside the restaurant for a while.
It would certainly mean a lot to the Iraqi community and send a message
that veterans and others are supporting these Iraqi refugees who have
suffered so much and have lost so much. It would be great if as many
Iraq Vets and others as possible join us for dinner.

Tues. Jan 10th  6 to 9 PM

Join us!
Carpool!

See
http://www.facebook.com/events/251957951537136/

Come support IRAQI Refugees in Lowell, MA against Bigotry and Violence!
<http://www.facebook.com/n/?events%2F251957951537136%2F&mid=571fe3dG516b2f9aG222849fG7&bcode=tF86q1KI&n_m=stwc-update-owner%40stopthewars.org&lloc=header>"