[act-ma] FSU-Radio Wed 2/29 Nativism & Paranoia in American Politics - Past and Present with Lester Lee

David O. Knuttunen webmaster at dsaboston.org
Mon Feb 27 12:18:07 PST 2012

Wed 2/29 7:00 pm on OB RADIO (http://obr.fm <http://obr.fm/> )

Nativism & Paranoia in American Politics - Past and Present

with historian Lester Lee

Set your Internet Browser to OBR.FM.

What better day than a Leap Day to think about the curiosities of time, and
what bigger curiosity than the way history seems inevitably to repeat
itself?  Why don't people learn from the past?

Nativism, jingoism and paranoia are nothing new in American politics.  The
fervent anti-immigrant movements aimed at Catholics and Chinese in the 19th
Century parallel those against Latinos, Haitians, Africans and other
immigrants of our present day.  The racism and paranoia seen during our wars
in the Philippines and Viet Nam, and against Japan are reflected in the
present day rage aimed at Arabs and Islam.  Can we draw lessons from the
past to help us resist a politics of fear and hatred here in the present
day?

Lester "Africanus" Lee has studied at Antioch College, The University of
Ghana The Bologna Center, Bologna, Italy (Johns Hopkins University), and the
Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies.  He is a
Senior Lecturer of History at Suffolk University.

Information about The FSU Program and Occupy Boston Radio...

Occupy Boston Radio is currently available by internet only.  You can reach
us at http://www.occupyboston.org/radio/ or http://obr.fm <http://obr.fm/> ,
or by going to http://occupyboston.org <http://occupyboston.org/>  and
choosing "Radio" from the upper right of the red menu bar at the top of the
page.  Once on the page, click the "play" arrow on the radio player control
app to begin listening.   Listener participation is possible via call-in or
IRC chat - see phone number and link on the radio page.

FSU-RADIO is an educational series by Occupy Boston's Free School
University. Our goal is to form an autonomous zone and share skills needed
to maintain that, to entertain educate and enliven Occupiers and the general
public. Our purpose is to provide support and space for skill sharing and
sharing basic info regarding Occupy Boston and to encourage
self-organization, teaching, and learning opportunities.

Our Wednesday program consists of TALK radio featuring educational content
such as lectures, panel discussions and interviews.

Host: David Knuttunen (guest hosts from time to time)

Time: WED 7-8pm

To propose a guest for the program, email fsu at occupyboston.org, or call
David Knuttunen 617-558-5853.