[act-ma] Mon. 4/16: Water Is A Human Right! Join us in Boston on Marathon Day.

Danielfactor at aol.com Danielfactor at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 15:19:58 PDT 2012

Economic  Human Rights Coalition
Press  Release regarding
April 16,  2012 Event

WATER IS  A HUMAN RIGHT!

“Safe and  clean drinking water and sanitation is a human right essential
to the full  enjoyment of life and all other human rights.”
---The  United Nations General Assembly, 28 July  2010
Almost one year ago on April 19, 2011, the City Council unanimously
declared Boston a Human Rights City. One year later, many residents still are
denied this basic human right.  On Patriots’ Day/Marathon Day, April 16, 2012,
we, the Economic Human Rights  Coalition, are coming to Boston to run the
race for human needs, to educate and  empower Boston residents to claim their
human rights and urge the City Council  to be accountable for their words.
Our starting line will be at the  front steps of the Arlington Church at
Boylston and Arlington Streets,  from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.  We will be asking
Boston Marathon spectators from all over the country and the world to sign
petitions, to be delivered to the Mayor and the City Council of  Boston.
We  demand:
·        A  moratorium on water shut-offs for inability to pay
·        Adequate  subsidies for low-income rate-payers
·        An end to  punitive denial of water to prisoners
Let’s create a more humane city and  join together in this historic
endeavor to make life healthy and just for  everyone.
Contacts for the Economic Human  Rights Coalition:
Mass Global Action: Suren Moodliar, _suren at fairjobs.org_
(mailto:suren at fairjobs.org)
Survivors, Inc.: Dottie Stevens, _masswelf at aol.com_
(mailto:masswelf at aol.com)