[act-ma] [UJP Activist] Fundraiser to Benefit Bradley Manning Support Network

United for Justice with Peace info at justicewithpeace.org
Wed Jun 5 15:30:04 PDT 2013

UJP Activist: Fundraiser to Benefit Bradley Manning Support Network P,LI,
BODY {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 11px;} H1, H2, H3,
H4 {text-align: center;} H3 {font-size: 15px;} H1 {font-size: 17px;}
.rtecenter {text-align: center;}
======== FUNDRAISER TO BENEFIT BRADLEY MANNING SUPPORT NETWORK ===============

*When:* Saturday, June 8, 2013, 7:00 pm
*Where: *home of Suzette Abbott and David Klafter • 63 Winthrop St •
Brookline
.... /Join us for an evening of: /

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--------  GREAT MUSIC!

--------                  GREAT FOOD!                     -

--------                                 FOR A GREAT CAUSE! --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week,  Bradley Manning’s court martial opened at Fort Mead, MD. He
has been charged with “aiding the enemy” and is facing life in a military
prison. Manning’s real crime - exposing the war crimes committed by our
government, in our name.
  Daniel Ellsberg, whose couragous release to the press of the “Pentagon
Papers” helped speed the close of the Viet Nam War, had this to say about
Bradley:
  *My decision to reveal the top secret Pentagon Papers to the American
public was an act of conscience.* These documents showed that we were in a
destructive, wrongful war, and that we had entered that war under false
pretenses. My hope was that, armed with this truth, the American people could
act to end that war.
*Today, a young soldier named Bradley Manning faces trial for a similar act
of conscience, and he needs our help.* In releasing documents and videos to
the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks, PFC Manning made an enormously positive
impact on world events. He revealed the terrifying misdeeds by American and
coalition forces, such as the 2007 Baghdad airstrike that targeted and killed
at least 12 Iraqi civilians. He opened a new pathway for truth and justice to
reach the world, perhaps preventing the next unjust war from ever beginning.
He even helped inspire a new, global movement for openness and democracy,
ringing out from Tahrir Square to Wall Street. To me, and many others,
Bradley is a hero.
Yet, *for his courage, Bradley faces life in prison* — much like I did 40
years ago. And just as I was arrested and called a “traitor” by President
Nixon, Bradley’s charges include an accusation of “aiding the enemy,”
even though there is no evidence that any individual was endangered by his
disclosures. Bradley, now 25 years old, is far too young, and has too much to
offer this country to spend the rest of his life in prison. He needs our
support. On Saturday, two thousand rallied outside Ft Meade to support
Bradley. But his defense, and making the public aware of it, is expensive.
*Please join us at the People’s Cafe June 8 to support Bradley. He stood up
for us - now we must stand up for him. See the attached flyer for details.
*If you can’t make it, you can support Bradley by sending a contribution to
the address listed below, or online at http://www.bradleymanning.org/ [1].
  We hope to see you on Saturday for an evening of “great music, great
food for a great cause”. Please circulate widely. RSVP to this email
address, or to David Klafter at
617-835-6703
.
  In Solidarity
David Klafter
For the People’s Cafe and MassOccupy/Brookline
www.bradleymanning.org [2]   sponsored by MassOccupy Brookline
========================

United for Justice with Peace [3] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The
UJP Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social
and economic justice.

/Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP today.
[4]/

info at justicewithpeace.org [5]

617-383-4857 www.justicewithpeace.org [6] Upcoming Events:  5 Broken Cameras
(film) [7] Wed Jun 19 6:45pm Watertown Public Library Watertown Celebration
of the Life of Charley Richardson [8] Sat Jun 29 3:00pm UMass Boston
Dorchester
/More Peace and Justice Events [9].    How to Submit Events [10]/

[1] http://www.bradleymanning.org/
[2] http://www.bradleymanning.org/
[3] http://justicewithpeace.org
[4] http://justicewithpeace.org/donate