[act-ma] Aug 21-25: The Occupy Wall Street (Inter) National Gathering: decolonize the 99% [Kalamazoo, MI]

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Fri Jul 12 11:42:56 PDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
*Via InterOccupy.net* 	View Online
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=378>

*MEDIA ALERT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 12, 2013
PRESS RELEASE FOR THE Occupy Wall Street (Inter) National Gathering:
decolonize the 99% *

*AUGUST 21-25
KALAMAZOO MICHIGAN*

      *Who/What*

*Occupy Wall Street (Inter) National Gathering: decolonize the 99%*

Attendance encouraged by all Occupiers and interested parties. From
August 21 to 25, 2013, Occupy Kalamazoo will be hosting the second
annual Occupy National Gathering, building on last summer’s historic
Occupy National Gathering in Philadelphia, PA. This first gathering
culminated in a visioning session based on the question “what does a
democratic future look like to you?” on July 4, 2012.  This year, there
is a focus on bringing together the Occupy movement with people of
color, indigenous peoples, and those too often marginalized, even within
the movement.  Even our name is controversial—Occupying Wall Street is
one tactic,  but we recognize that America was occupied by colonizers
and the struggle for liberation from colonization continues.  We believe
that it is time to figure out how to work together against “the
1%”—those unreconstructed corporatists who refuse to acknowledge the
harm that has been done to the Earth and her residents, and that is
ongoing. To that end, we came to consensus on a new name for our event:
  the Occupy Wall Street (Inter) National Gathering: Decolonize the
  99%.  This name recognizes our roots with Occupy Wall Street as well
as acknowledges the injustice the United States' forbears brought to
this continent and our solidarity with decolonization.

The National Gathering Working Group 2013 (NGWG2013); a coalition of
Occupy movements from cities around the world, uniting in solidarity
with Occupy Wall Street and with Occupy and peoples’ movements worldwide
  is planning an InterNational Gathering of peoples’ movements
worldwide, in Kalamazoo, Michigan.  We aim to assemble collectively and
embrace our different ideologies and perspectives; to find our common
visions; to share our strategies and actions; to learn from each other,
and to leave this gathering with steps we can all take in both agreement
and diversity for ourselves, our communities, our nations, and for all
of us across the world.

Our convergence will begin on Aug. 21 and continue for five days of
Community-and-Movement building exercises, and free-flowing open
discussions.Turtle Soup Kitchen of the Rainbow Family of Living Light
will be feeding the people and being the peace in Kalamazoo—we expect
Rainbows from other tribes as well.  Speakers include Cindy Sheehan,
David Cobb, Bill Moyer and Julia Trigg Crawford.  There will be
  structured teach-ins, presentations and activities throughout the week
as well as space for Occupy-style self-organized activities each day.

We believe that the people of the world need to speak openly to each
other about how to make a better world. We ask you to join with us,
bringing your ideas, your struggles, and your voice—come to Kalamazoo!
There will be a special focus on indigenous peoples, race, gender, and
class throughout the convergence, considering the particular
perspectives of these communities on each of the main topics of the
individual days.

      *Where*

We are pleased to announce our host venue for the week is the
Lamplighter Inn in Kalamazoo.  This venue has everything - indoor space,
outdoor space, a large parking lot.  We have also been offered safe
space by the Quakers, as they so graciously did last year in Philly.

*Venue Facebook Video from Occupy Natgat
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67768&qid=2679504>*

Many people ask why Kalamazoo? Very simply, as Bill Moyer said, Michigan
is a hotbed of activist activity at this moment in history.
Environmental issues plague the state and the Great Lakes; the political
situation rallied tens of thousands as Governor Rick Snyder eroded the
state’s unions; there are Drones bases and a solid anti-war base, and
Kalamazoo has a reputation for being the sixth-meanest city in the
country towards its homeless population. A homeless Bill of Rights is
being worked on by Occupy Kalamazoo.

On July 25th, 2010, the Kalamazoo River was destroyed as more than 1
million gallons (as publicly stated) of Tar Sand Oil, along with 40% of
that volume in benzene, was pumped into our river at high pressure for
more than 17 consecutive hours, killing everything in the river for
almost 40 miles. Tar Sand Oil (literally the most harmful kind of oil
possible) is so dense that it sank to the bottom of the river. There
most of it still sits, loosely covered by sand in the bed of the
Kalamazoo.Countless animals and plants are dead, and several deadly
health complciations are arising.  The Canadian oil company Enbridge
found a cover-up to be more cost efficient than addressing their mess.
Enbridge employees were covered in protective gear and would be sent
home the spill breached a 500-yard perimeter, whereas residents of
trailer parks and homes within 500 yards were simply told to shut their
windows.

There will be a Tour of the Kalamazoo River - Home of the Enbridge Oil
spill in 2010,  “The Largest inland oil spill in U.S. History”.

      *Why/Theme*

The focus of the Occupy National Gathering will be leadership building
and people-powered training, education, and actions, to empower people
with trainings to take back to their community and spread positive and
effective change in their communities.  There is emphasis on Local
struggle and how all our struggles connect on a global level.

Aug 21st: Renew Kalamazoo and your community.
Aug 22nd: Making and Supporting Free, Unfettered Media
Aug 23rd: Fixing Fossil Fuels and Creating an Environmentally
Sustainable Future
Aug 24th: Economic and Trade Justice, Equal Access and Ending Corporate
“Personhood”, Asserting the People’s Sovereignty
Aug 25th: Ending War and Our Police State, Building Peace and Cooperation

        *A Global Conversation*

A multi-month building action, starting with the Plant Three Seeds
solidarity action on Earth Day, working collectively with international
groups like Via 22, the GlobalSkillsXChange
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67769&qid=2679504>,
and participating in the recent How can we connect now our struggles and
squares to create a global change? 27 June 2013 transnational meeting of
80 activists on mumble.Each day will also have a global component and
conversation based on the needs and issues of the global community,
roughly paralleling, but by no means restricted to, the daily themes. A
more structured digital conference, with room for presentations and
skillshares will take place August 22nd. The Global work, like NatGat2
itself, is a work in progress and will be developed by participating
groups. Please join our global partner, Via22, for monthly mumble
meetings 22nd of each month on the occupytalk.org server, Via22 room.

More info onfacebook
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67770&qid=2679504>
and theVia22 website
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67771&qid=2679504>
andHub on InterOccupy
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67772&qid=2679504>.

        At the Gathering:

          Housing/Transport

We hope to be offering multiple housing and recreational spaces.Sign up
if you need either or have housing or a ride to offer
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67773&qid=2679504>.
We encourage Occupys, individuals and organizations to self-organize
Occupy Caravans from your city or region to Kalamazoo.Join the Team
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67774&qid=2679504>
to help with organizing Housing and Transport.

          Food

We are donating time on Co-op farms, and outreaching with local business
and farmers, gathering natural and healthy food to provide during the
event. Food and Support teams forming!Join the team!
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67774&qid=2679504>Already
signed up are Turtle Soup Kitchen of the Rainbow Family of Living Light,
who will be feeding the people and being the peace in Kalamazoo—we
expect Rainbows from other tribes as well

          Entertainment

There will be nightly entertainment, including featured artists, poets,
musicians, and DJs, as well as a campfire and drum circles. Also
planning a benefit concert, and encourage artists of all mediums to
inquire for space for expression.

*Occupy Wall Street (Inter) National Gathering*: decolonize the 99%,
like all Occupy events, strives to be as cost-free as possible and to
provide Mutual Aid for essentials like food, water, sanitation, housing,
transport, media, and support. All services are provided free by
volunteer teams and participants.Donations
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67775&qid=2679504>
to defray unavoidable costs accepted through our fiscal sponsor, AfGJ.

*Watch the conference on Livestream*:
*OccupyDetroitOfficialChannel*:http://www.ustream.tv/channel/occupy-detroit
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67776&qid=2679504>
*Occupy Kalamazoo*:http://www.ustream.tv/channel/occupykalamazoo
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67777&qid=2679504>

*Join One of Our Weekly Planning Conference Calls*:
Every Wednesday at 8pm EDT until the Occupy(Inter)NatGat2013
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67778&qid=2679504>

Every Monday at NOON EDT until further notice.  One registration gives
you a personal identification number (PIN) for both calls.

*Help Plan Events and Activities, Offer to Speak, Teach, Run a
Workshop*.*Join the Team*
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67774&qid=2679504>
to help with one of the many aspects of Support.

*Participants/Endorsements So Far*:
Alliance for Global Justice | The A9 Network | Battle Creek Oil Spill |
Bill Moyer and the Back Bone Campaign | Code Black | Dept. of Peace |
Earth First | Food and Water Watch | Global Revolution Media | Idle No
More Michigan | Kalamazoo City of Compassion | Kalamazoo Non-Violent
Opponents of War (KNOW) | Louisiana Shrimp Alliance | March against
Drones | The Media Consortium | Michigan Ban Fracking | Michigan Home
Defense | Michigan Tar Sands | Move To Amend Coalition/David Cobb |
Mutual Aid Dcats | National Homeless Coalition | National Law Center on
Homelessness and Poverty (NLCHP) | New York Against Fracking | Air
Occupy | Occupy Bergen County | Occupy Boston | Occupy Buffalo | Occupy
Ohio Cozhocton | Occupy Chicago I Occupy Detroit | Occupy Enbridge |
Occupy the Environment I Occupy Frederick I Occupy Global Media (GOM) |
Occupy Grand Rapids MI | Occupy Hilo | Occupy Homes | InterOccupy |
Occupy Love | Occupy Petaluma | Occupy Raleigh NC | Occupy the Roads |
Occupy Royal Oak | Occupy Sandy NJ | Occupy Sandy NYC | Occupy Staten
Island | Strike Debt  | Occupy Traverse City | Occupy Tucson | Occupy
Vision I Women Occupy | #OpOK | Dr. Ricki Ott | People United for
Sustainable Housing (P.U.S.H Kalamazoo) | The Poor Peoples Campaign |
Public Citizen Global Trade Watch: Stop the TransPacific Partnership |
Road to USSF 3 | Shut Down Palisades | Unfuck The World, Featuring the
Summer Support/Love Takeover Tour | United States Social Forum | Via 22
| Wesleyan Peace Center

*More Info:*

*Websites:*
http://occupynationalgathering.net/
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67779&qid=2679504>
http://interoccupy.net/natgat2/
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67780&qid=2679504>

*Social:*
Occupy National Gathering on Facebook
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67781&qid=2679504>
National Gathering 2013 in Kalamazoo Facebook Planning Group
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67782&qid=2679504>
@Ng2Kzoo
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67783&qid=2679504>
@NATGAT2013
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67784&qid=2679504>
RebelMouse
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67785&qid=2679504>

*Email:*
Join theemail lists
<http://crm.interoccupy.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=67786&qid=2679504>
for discussion and planning!

*Contact:*
Chris Whamoff, OccupyNatGat2, Occupy Kalamazoo
Email: Natgat2013 at gmail.com <mailto:Natgat2013 at gmail.com>
Phone: 269-910-6495