[act-ma] Mass Pirates Cryptoparty - Saturday Aug 24th @ 1pm

Steve Revilak steve at srevilak.net
Wed Aug 21 20:09:40 PDT 2013

We're having another cryptoparty!  Saturday, August 24th from
1:00-3:00pm, at Encuentro 5 <http://www.encuentro5.org>, 9 Hamilton
St. #2A, Boston, just across the street from the Part St. T station.

This afternoon, we're going to focus on a piece of software called PGP
("Pretty Good Privacy"), which is commonly used for encrypting email.
This will be a hands-on workshop; our goal is to help you set up PGP
on your laptop, and get your hands dirty using it.  PGP Encryption is
an excellent way to prevent folks (like our friends at the NSA) from
snooping on your email, and we want to teach you how to encrypt!

To get the most benefit from this workshop, you'll want to bring a
laptop, and download PGP software in advance.

  - If you're running Windows, download GPG4win from
    http://gpg4win.org/download.html.

  - If you're running MacOS, download GPG Tools from
    https://gpgtools.org/.

  - If you're running Linux, use your distribution's package manager to
    install GPG, GPA, and a mail reader that supports PGP (such as
    Evolution, Claws Mail, or Thunderbird + Enigmail)

We'll show you how to generate keys, upload them to a keyserver, sign
each other keys, and encrypt/decrypt files.

This is a free workshop, but contributions to Encuentro 5 would be
sincerely appreciated.

We hope you'll join us on August 24th.

Massachusetts Pirate Party
Open Government, Open Innovation, Open Culture, and People First
http://masspirates.org/