[act-ma] 7/28 Recess; 8/6 Investing Tips; 9/6 Schmooze; 9/13 SoJust Birthday

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:55:37 PDT 2012

Hey fellow activists and organizers,

The countdown to our 6th birthday
party<http://www.sojust.org/events/73630872/>has officially begun! We
have so much to celebrate - 2000+ members, 130+
events, and countless connections since 2006. Pretty amazing for a
volunteer-run grassroots group that's funded by our
members<http://www.sojust.org/dues>
.

*Upcoming Events:*
Saturday, July 28 - Recess for Justice<http://www.sojust.org/events/67304382/>
*Monday, August 6 - **Skillshare: Socially Responsible Investing
*<http://www.sojust.org/events/71752642/>
Thursday, September 6 - Skillshare: Art of the
Schmooze<http://www.sojust.org/events/73630312/>
Thursday, September 13 - SoJust is 6! Connecting for Justice (Open
House)<http://www.sojust.org/events/73630872/>

*Are you ready to meet like-minded progressives and get connected to great
social justice organizations in Boston*? SoJust is all about building a
cross-cultural, cross-issue progressive community and network in Boston
based on the philosophy of abundance. We're doing it by putting the SOCIAL
back in SOCIAL JUSTICE. We focus on creating welcoming spaces that foster
relationship-building across issue silos. Join us if you are ready to go
BEYOND ALLIES and build a CROSS-ISSUE PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT.

*Recess for Justice*
*July 28, 11:00AM-1:00PM*
Southwest Corridor (Stony Brook)
It's time for Recess! Put down your work and join us for some outdoor fun.
Bring your favorite outdoor game - we'll likely have: a Frisbee, kickball &
chalk (for 4-square!), jump rope, a basketball and whatever other
randomness we can think of.
*RSVP for Recess: *http://www.sojust.org/events/67304382/

*Skillshare: Socially Responsible Investing by Joby Gelbspan*
*August 6, 6:00 - 8:30PM*
*The NonProfit Center (South Station)*
How do we manage our finances to best sustain ourselves and support our
vision of a more just economy? This is a chance to learn investment basics
and discuss financial management with a local progressive activist and
finance professional. No prior knowledge expected: we'll start with
fundamentals and definitions. Participants should come away with a more
intuitive sense of how to use investments, and ideas about how to research
and choose between different financial tools without checking your politics
at the door.
*RSVP for Investing: *http://www.sojust.org/events/71752642/

*Skillshare: Art of the Schmooze by Robbie Samuels*
*September 6, 6:00-8:30PM*
The NonProfit Center (South Station)
Forming and cultivating relationships is at the heart of any successful
fundraising campaign, volunteer drive, committee effort or community
building activity. This training will give you the confidence to pursue
your personal goals - from the importance of shaking hands and making eye
contact, to tips on the best opening line and how to exit a conversation
gracefully. An amazing side benefit is that you'll learn how to create a
welcoming community space by keeping an eye out for outliers, considering
yourself a host instead of a guest and knowing how to compliment someone
without "othering" them.
*RSVP for Schmooze: *http://www.sojust.org/events/73630312/

*SoJust is 6! Connecting for Justice (Open House)*
*September 13, 6:00-8:30PM*
Lir on Boylston (Hynes Convention Center)
SoJust is 6! That's right, it's been SIX years since our first event! Join
us to *celebrate 2000+ members, 130+ events and countless connections* made
since 2006! Our birthday parties are always our biggest events. *Haven't
been to a Socializing for Justice event?* It’s time to meet 120+ friendly
SoJusters!
*RSVP for SoJust is 6! *http://www.sojust.org/events/73630872/

*SOCIALIZING FOR JUSTICE - **www.sojust.org* <http://www.sojust.org/>
*SoJust is not a non-profit 501(c)(3).* We're a grassroots volunteer-run
member-supported cross-issue progressive community that's been growing
steadily since August 2006. We have 2000+ members, hosted 130+ events and
manage an online hub of progressive events and resources at www.sojust.org.
If you've benefited from this cross-issue progressive network, please
contribute the suggested annual membership fee of $25. You may do this
online <http://www.sojust.org/dues/> or at any of our events. Thank you for
helping us continue to provide a space for like-minded progressives of all
stripes.

*Want to know more about SoJust?* Check out our Frequently Asked
Questions<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>and
past
event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!