[act-ma] Radical Film Night at LPC: BIC Presents "Precious Knowledge" 10/3 7pm

Corry Banton corryb8 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 14:44:54 PDT 2012

Radical Film Night at the Lucy Parsons Center
Wed. October 3rd  7pm
"Precious Knowledge"
FREE!

Boston Interpreters Collective presents a film and discussion with members of El Movimiento:

"Precious Knowledge portrays the one of the final years of the highly
successful but controversial Mexican American Studies Program at Tucson
 High School.

 The program was a national model of educational
success 93 percent of  its enrolled students graduating from high school
 and 85 percent going  on to attend college, bucking a statewide trend
that saw only 48 percent  of Latino students graduating at all. The
program taught Mexican and  American history, as well as Central and
South American literature and  culture.

 But the political tide
shifted in Arizona in the 2000s. The state passed  extremely
controversial immigration laws, which some civil libertarians  equated
to racial profiling. Legislative sessions in the state became  heated
and rife with recriminations. And when lawmakers turned their  attention
 to Tucson High's ethnic studies program, it became a lightning  rod in
the public conversation about race. Opponents of the program  launched a
 campaign to convince the public that ethnic studies teach  everything
from communism to terrorism to 'reverse racism.'

 Students and
their teachers fight hard to preserve their program,  marching to the
statehouse, holding vigils, and testifying before  lawmakers. They
invite their legislators to visit their classrooms, and  all but one
refuse. When he does visit, he criticizes the poster of Che  Guevara on
the wall, and suggests that a poster of Benjamin Franklin  would be more
 appropriate.

 At the center of the debate was Paulo Freire's
textbook, The Pedagogy of  the Oppressed, which the school's instructors
 used for the ethnic  studies classes. The book is a famous example of
critical race theory,  which looks at and acknowledges the influence of
institutional racism in  America on non-dominant groups. The theory has
been criticized as  Marxist.

 In 2011 Arizona lawmakers passed a
 bill giving unilateral power to the  state superintendent of schools to
 abolish ethnic studies classes. The  fight to restore ethnic studies
continues in Arizona and in other  states, as education continues to
adapt to a changing population. "

 Members from Boston area El
Movimiento will be on hand for discussion after the film.

El Moviemento/
 The Movement, is a grassroots, youth lead organization that works
towards ethnic studies.  Our over all goal is to put ethnic studies in
the Boston Public School System. We also educate ourselves by
researching other topics that we haven't learned in school and creating
workshops. We then create events that we host so that we can educate
ourselves and others

www.lucyparsons.org
www.interpreterscollective.org